The VODW Constitution
1. Name. The Voice of Darfur Women. (VODW).
2. The Objects of the Charity shall be to help in the eradication of poverty by the eventual achievement of Number Three of the UN Millennium Goals on the Rights of Women in Darfur with the help of trained Sudanese women of the diaspora in Britain so that Darfuri women can participate in civil society as peace, reconciliation and security are established.
3. Powers: In addition to any other powers, the charity shall
a) raise funds but not to undertake permanent trading activity or buy or lease property
b) train Sudanese volunteer women in Britain to
c) organise and train groups of Darfuri women in Sudan towards achieving the
4. Membership shall be open to all Sudanese women in the UK who agree with the Objects above and who apply by letter or email to the Secretary.
5. All powers and responsibilities shall be vested in the Management Committee consisting of Eight trustee-members of which the Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer shall be called the Executive for the day-to-day running of the charity, all to be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
6. Trustees. Except with the prior written approval of the Charity Commission no trustee may receive any benefit in money or in kind from the charity or have a financial interest in the supply of goods or services to the charity.
7. Amendments. The Management may amend the provisions of the deed but not one that would have the effect of making the charity cease under the law. Such a copy of such an amendment must be sent must be sent to the Charity Commission.
8. A quorum for valid decisions shall be a) 5 out of 8 for Management Committee meetings and b) 10 for a general meeting and c) over 60% for a special general meeting.
9. Dissolution. If the trustees (the Management Committee) decide that it is necessary or advisable to dissolve the Charity, they shall realise any assets held by or on behalf of the charity. Any assets remaining after the satisfaction of any proper debts and liabilities shall be given or transferred to such other charitable institutions having the most similar to the objects of the charity.